Rancho Laguna de los Palos Colorados
Rancho Laguna de Los Palos Colorados was a 13,316-acre (53.89 km2) Mexican land grant within present-day Contra Costa County, California. It was granted in 1841 by Mexican Governor Juan Alvarado to Joaquín Moraga and his cousin, Juan Bernal. The name means “Ranch of the Lake of the Redwoods” in Spanish.
The plaque was installed on the third baseline of the baseball field at Campolindo High School on March 25th, 1984 to mark the site, but is no longer at that location.
The survey image is the survey conducted in 1855 by the U.S. government to verify the boundaries of the grant and to determine the acreage. This survey is very different from the original drawing of the location by the original Mexican surveyors.